Welcome to Linda's Blog

You are spending precious time on this visit to my blog. I hope to be able to make it a rewarding experience for you. Do visit often and tell your friends about it.

My Profile

Borongan City, Eastern Samar, Philippines
Someone with varied interests and all consuming curiosity about the world around us.

Thursday, June 02, 2011

TWO WEDDINGS ON A SUMMER DAY 5/28/11

 

Hello everyone. I just wanted to share the events of May 28,2011 which, as my blog title says, includes two church weddings. It was probably one of the hottest and most humid days so far this summer. I was a principal sponsor in both weddings, hence the requisite attendance and attire of long gowns. The church ceremonies were not too bad - our cathedral has wide open side walls and electric fans installed in every beam. The receptions were a whole different story. With corrugated roofs and no ventilation of any kind, it was pure torture. But I wouldn’t have missed it for the world! 

Joeres-Mavic-ninangs

The groom is one of our tennis players at BOLTA. Of the five primary sponsors present, I was the only one who followed the color motif of fuchsia. I felt so much like a fish out of water! I always thought that you’re not allowed to wear white at a wedding. And here you see four ladies besides the bride wearing white. The little boy is their firstborn.

Kuratsa-with-RodelThis is at the reception. All of the primary sponsors dance the traditional dance called the “kuratsa” which is supposedly a courtship dance. Money is “thrown” on the floor; later the groom gathers every bill, wraps them in a pouch, and offers it all to his bride. A pledge of sorts to support and protect her and the family. I did not get to see the others dance because I had to leave and change for the other wedding! I just barely made it to the church. I had to change to a different gown because the 2nd wedding had a filipiniana motif. But that’s for the next post. I hope you found this interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List